Brief history of the community of Eduthukatti
The Community was inaugurated on 2nd June 2002 with the Pioneers Srs Michaelamma A, Mary Vasantha, Leema Therese and Flora Moras. At the request of the Bishop of Thanjavur diocese, we started the community at Eduthukkatti, a substation of the Parish of Tharangambadi. Eduthukatti is a Catholic Village with 120 families. They are economically poor. Most of them are landless and work in the houses and farms of Muslim landlords. We were invited to take charge of the Diocesan Primary School in Eduthukatti.
We the sisters of St Joseph of Tarbes at Eduthukatti Arul Illam started the health center on 7th June 2006. The people of the village requested for a hospital but we were ready only for a health center at that time. It was blessed and inaugurated by Fr Susai Arul, the Parish Priest of Tharangambadi. Sr Anita Eranimos the then councilor in charge was also present. The people had to pay for medicines but the service was free of cost. The people were very happy and responded well to the treatment.
In the year May 2016 Sr Mary Mathew and Sr Kanickaimary continued the health center and started the De-Addiction programme on a non Institutional basis.
Extension of Health Consulting Center/Wellness Center in Eduthukatti, Sathanur
On the 1st of May 2018 we extended our services at the health center in the main village called Eduthukatti Sathanur. The Present community members are Srs Kanickaimary- Animator, Mary Mathew- Nurse, Kulandai Theresa -Head Mistress and Sr Sasi the Assistant Head Mistress.
Srs Mary Mathew, Kulandai Theresa, Kanickai Mary, Sasi
- We are teaching catechism for children and faith formation activities for all the people in three substations namely Eduthukatti, Paalur and Thirukalacheri.
- Form the year 2017 we introduced SSC and formed about 13 groups [Annbiams].
- We have also started small saving groups for women in three sub-Stations.
- We are also planning to have same procedures among men, youth and children.
- We have Lay Associates, with 8 members. And the members are growing in prayer and in Word of God day by day.
- We have Josephites from 4th Std to 9th Std with 7 boys and 13 girls.